Specialized Service Delivery

We offer a variety of specialized assessments and therapies that consider the unique needs of deaf and hearing clients who have communication or developmental challenges. We serve clients from an interdisciplinary lens; when there are multiple needs, our clinicians collaborate to determine how to best assess and support the individual. Clinicians work collaboratively to help families understand the clinical findings and recommendations. 


All services are available in American Sign Language (ASL), spoken English, or augmentative and alternative communication (AAC).

Psychological/Neuropsychological Assessment

A psychological or neuropsychological assessment can document an individual’s cognitive and neurobehavioral functioning. Psychologists can identify challenges in cognitive, learning, attentional/self-regulatory, neurodevelopmental, behavioral, and/or social-emotional domains.

Available services:

  • Psychological Assessment
  • Neuropsychological Assessment

These services are provided by a psychologist. At this time, these services are available to deaf/hard-of-hearing or signing clients, as well as those who use AAC.

Common questions that might lead to a psychological/neuropsychological assessment:

  1. My deaf daughter seems to struggle to learn. Is it possible to find out how she is doing compared to other children her age, so that we know if this is “typical”?
  2. We did not know about our child’s hearing loss until he was nearly 3 years of age. Now, he is having difficulty developing language. Is this because of his hearing? Or is there something else that is influencing his language development?
  3. I am a pediatrician and my hard-of-hearing patient is struggling to focus in school. Can The Clinic help determine if she is having difficulty understanding the content, problems paying attention, or whether something else might be going on?
  4. Our son communicates using AAC. We worry that others make assumptions about his abilities. Is it possible to find out “how smart” he is?
  5. I am a special education administrator, and we need a psychological assessment for a child who communicates using an AAC device and some ASL signs. Can The Clinic help?

Speech, Language, and Communication Services

Our speech, language and communication services – including assessment and therapy – identify clients’ strengths and difficulties and offer guidance to maximize meaningful communication skills across a variety of areas. These may include general communication abilities, speech/articulation, fluency, receptive and expressive language, and social/pragmatic skills. We support children who use echolalia through direct specialized services, as well as provide informed guidance to families and professionals. An augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) evaluation examines an individual’s current communication abilities to determine how AAC may help improve those skills across settings. If appropriate, a speech-language pathologist can diagnose language-related disorders.

Available services:

  • Speech, language and communication assessment
  • Speech, language, and communication therapy
  • Specialized services for children who use echolalia
  • Augmentative and alternative communication evaluation

These services are provided by licensed speech language pathologists.

Common questions that might lead to speech, language, and communication services: 

  1. People outside our family have a difficult time understanding our three-year-old’s speech. Is this “typical” or does she have a speech sound disorder?
  2. My toddler has two cochlear implants. How can I be sure he is developing communication the way he should be?
  3. A student in my class is hard of hearing and has a variety of special needs. Can The Clinic help me learn more about how her language is impacting her abilities in other areas, like academics and daily living skills?
  4. My son is a teenager and only says a few words and phrases. He will be graduating soon and entering adult services. Is it too late to try AAC with him?
  5. My child only communicates by grabbing things, crying, or tantruming. Would AAC help with these behaviors?

Educational Services

Educational services – available to children in, or preparing to enter, any educational setting or placement – provide information about classroom-based functioning and skills. This can include areas such as general readiness to learn, reading, writing, literacy, and mathematics. These services will identify areas of strength and need, and provide recommendations and/or interventions to support the child and educational team. 

Available Services

  • Educational Assessment
  • Teacher of the Deaf Assessment
  • Reading/Literacy Assessment
  • Reading/Literacy Tutoring

These services are provided by a licensed Special Education Teacher, Teacher of the Deaf, or Reading Specialist.

Common questions that might lead to educational services:

  1. My deaf daughter is going to be turning 3 soon and I’m not sure what type of preschool would be best for her. What kind of classroom would help her the most?
  2. I’m a special education administrator, and I just learned a deaf student is coming to my school. Can The Clinic provide some guidance on how to make sure we have everything in place for this student?
  3. One of my 5th grade students is struggling with reading. Is it still possible to work on building foundational reading skills? What if she is already behind?
  4. My son says he hates reading and seems to be falling behind. What should I do?

Behavioral Assessment

A functional behavior assessment (FBA) examines the functions – or causes – of behavior and provides strategies for replacing inappropriate/challenging behaviors with more functional alternatives. Additionally, an FBA includes recommended changes to the environment to increase carryover of desirable behaviors among home, school, and community settings.

Available services:

  • Functional behavioral assessment

These services are provided by a Board Certified Behavior Analyst.

Common questions that might lead to a behavioral assessment:

  1. My son often engages in extremely challenging behavior and I am running out of ideas to try. What should I do?
  2. As a school professional, I am concerned about a student who is repeatedly having trouble following directions. How can I help this student?
  3. My daughter has a lot of temper tantrums. She often cries, hits, or throws herself on the floor, and I don’t know what is causing this. Can you help me to understand why this is happening and what I can do to support my daughter?

Assistive Technology

Assistive technology (AT) aims to support an individual to participate in daily living activities such as dressing, eating, communicating, engaging in leisure, and accessing the environment and community. At The Clinic, the match between the person, the environment, the desired task, and the AT tool will be considered. AT assessments determine the most effective interventions, including both low- and high-tech supports that will foster increased independence within the home, school, and community settings.

Available Services:

  • Assistive technology assessment
  1. My daughter has limited mobility. Is she able to participate more independently in her day to day activities? 
  2. I own an ‘Alexa’ or ‘Google Home’ but I have no idea how I can use these tools with my child who has a disability or communication disorder to be more independent within our home.