In order to help students, families, and the community realize this philosophy, The Children’s Center for Communication / Beverly School for the Deaf will ensure the following principles in the areas of communication, instruction, assessment, family, community, and culture.
- Embrace American Sign Language, English, and other communication systems and respect each language system equally.
- Provide access to English as provided through spoken English, sign, print, and preferred picture and voice technologies.
- Routinely assess and monitor each individual’s progress in developing the first language.
- Distinguish between social and academic communication modes across a variety of settings.
- Recognizing communication modes may change as the individual acquires new skills.
- Promote opportunities for peer communication while exposing individuals to appropriate peer and adult communication role models, and mentors.